Monday, July 21, 2014

Project 52 - July 2014 {3}

Week 3 - A day in the life of Abby

If you saw my "sneak peek" post you'll already know that Abby is our 7 year old yellow lab.  She is a part of our family just like any other member and we love her so.

We picked up Abby from a farm when she was 7 weeks old.  My husband and I went to check her out first and decided she was the one for our family.  We came home and told our daughter the exciting news and boy was she over joyed!  After going to the pet store and buying all the items for our first puppy, all three of us went to pick Abby up at the farm.  The breeder told us after we had left earlier that week, another couple had come from Chicago and wanted the same puppy we did and offered the breeder 3x what she was asking!  Can you believe people would even ask someone to do that???  We were all so happy the breeder kept her promise to us and didn't sell Abby to the Chicago couple.  That would have been so devastating for us (and especially our daughter!).

We got her home and started our life with our new addition to the family!  All of us had fun watching her grow up to be the beautiful dog she is today.  I trained her in obedience and agility for almost two years.  I never competed her but had fun training her and glad I did because she listens to me (most of the time anyway!).  Abby definitely has a personality and we have nicknamed her "Crabby Abby!"  Which is unusual for a lab to be called crabby but she likes her space and can get "crabby" when you try to touch her when she doesn't want to be touched.  Don't get me wrong, she's still a mild tempered dog, she just moans and groans when you pet her and she is sleeping.  She allows it but lets you know she doesn't really care for it in the nicest way possible.

Here are a few things about Abby's day and what she does.

When one person gets up in the morning, Abby (who sleeps on her bed in the living room) just looks at them from her bed and doesn't move.  When two people (usually my husband and myself) are up, that's her signal it's time for her to get up.  It doesn't matter which one of us gets up first, there just has to be two people up.

We go for walks in the morning before her breakfast and she just loves this!  For breakfast and dinner time, we get her dish, bring it downstairs to fill it up with food.  She waits at the top of the stairs (see picture below) for us and sniffs what is in her dish (I guess you never know what might be in there, haha!).  Abby knows to sit nicely, while I put her dish of food down, and refresh her water.  All while she sits and patently waits.  I finally give her the "OK" and it's chow time!

After a meal, it's play time!  If I am eating and not ready to play with her, Abby will wait and stare at me till I am ready (you know there are other people in the house that can play with you too.  Just sayin').  Every year I notice the amount of play time gets less and less.  It doesn't take much to tire her out these days.  She loves the "chase" game though.  That is where I chase her around the house trying to get the toy away from her!  She's a tease!

Then she lays around the house finding different places to sleep every so often during the day.  When it gets nice out, she just wants to be outside all day (unless it's hot).  She'll sunbathe on our driveway for as long as she can stand it.  And when she's ready to come in, she gives us one bark to let us know she's done.

When I have the front door open, Abby loves to look out and see what's happening in the neighborhood.  Plus, lay in the sun spot!

Abby loves to also play tug!  This is usually a good one to play outside only (more room & better grip on her footing).  She'll go between wanting to play catch and wanting to play tug.  And then there's those times she wanted to play catch and then drops to the ground and rolls over for a tummy scratch!  Love it!

Our daughter just adores Abby and loves it when Abby gives her attention.  Abby loves sniffing and licking her ears (see picture below).  I'm not sure why (they're not dirty, haha!) but it makes our daughter laugh (anyone that has a teenager knows this can be a rare thing).  It's very cute to see them together and it always brings a smile to my face.

Seven years has gone by very fast and it's hard to believe Abby will turn 8 years in November.  She has touched our lives and hearts like no one else could.  We are so lucky to have her in our family.  She brings us such joy and I can only hope that we give her the same amount of joy.

P.S.  I am really happy with the amount of images I captured with her looking right at the camera.  This might not seem like a big deal to some but it is to me because Abby is "camera shy."  She hates having her picture taken.  She will see anyone with a camera/phone pointing in her direction and she will look away usually before you can take the picture!  What a stinker!

Enjoy!



























No comments:

Post a Comment